Lynnwood summers may not be scorchers, but we still want to keep our homes nice and comfortable. That doesn’t always have to mean cranking the A/C up to max. Below are some ways to make your A/C more efficient at keeping your home cooler as the Seattle summer days get warmer and warmer.
Windows and Blinds
- You will be surprised how quickly the warm air is replaced by refreshing, cool air if you open the windows once the sun goes down.
- As much as 30% of unwanted heat in your home comes in through the windows, so keep your blinds closed during the day, particularly on the west and south facing windows. You can actually lower the midday temperature by as much as 20 degrees if you do this.
- Getting light colored blinds that will reflect the sun’s heat instead of absorbing it will make lowering the temperature even more efficient.
- Laundry machines produce a lot of heat, so do your laundry at night to keep things cooler. For a quicker cycle keep the dryer vent clean.
- Also run your dishwasher at night to minimize it heating up your home and you will wake up to clean dishes.
- Try to use the oven or cooker top less in the warmer months. Instead, grill as much as you can. Many of the things you make in the oven or on the cooker top can be grilled.
- Installing a programmable thermostat will help your AC run smoother and more efficiently resulting in a cooler house.
- Change your AC filters regularly. A dirty filter not only reduces air quality but also airflow efficiency.
- Although you probably won’t have immediate results, planting a shade tree can make a tremendous difference to the comfort of your home.
- By adding awnings, you can actually reduce heating gains by 65-75%.
- If you are considering replacing your roof, be sure to select one with more heat protection than the standard shingles, such as slate, tiles, concrete, clay or metals.
- Consider painting your home a lighter color to deflect the heat.
Each of these tips will save you money in energy bills, as well as wear and tear on your HVAC system. If you’re still not cool enough, Kings Heating & Air Conditioning are your Lynnwood air conditioning experts. Give us a call to talk about how we can help you get comfortable.